PDA

View Full Version : ODBC Connection String, CatalogName parameter, automate data import into Access

jptros
04-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Is there a way to specify the CatalogName parameter with the ShipRush odbc driver in the connection string or through a file dsn? I've tried several times through Microsoft Access and get "Reserved error (-7778); there is no message for this error."

What I would like to do is be able to import ship rush data into Access in a non-interactive way, i.e., without going through the ship rush odbc driver dialogs. Here's an example that generates the above error message:

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "ODBC Database", "ODBC;DRIVER=DBISAM 4 ODBC Driver;CatalogName=C:\path\to\copy\of\shiprush\dat a", acTable, "tablename", "destinationtablename"

If I remove the CatalogName option it opens the standard shiprush import dialog. I would really like to be able to automate this process by specifying the necessary parameters in the ODBC connection or through a file dsn. Neither seem to work.

SYSOPP
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Sorry about the headache!

We believe this can be automated, because we have heard of users doing this.

However we have no direct experience with this.

Apologies we lack an answer!

jptros
04-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Well if someone runs across this thread and knows I'd greatly appreciate it if they shared their knowledge.

Thanks
J.P.