PDA

View Full Version : Can I mandate the default file name of saved label?

macboat
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
When I print shipping labels, I chose Printer Type: Save labels/Docs to Acrobat (PDF), then, without any messages, the system will save a PDF file in the designated folder. The file name is "Shipment+tracking number.PDF".

Here is my questions.
1. Instead of silently save the file to the folder, can I have label show first, then manually save to the folder that I choose?

2. Can I manually set the default file name to: "date - first 4 words of item title - zip - state - quantity"? It looks like this: "20120921-Canon Pixma IP2702 Printer-61000-IL-2.pdf".

Thank you.

SYSOPP
09-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Good questions!

1. Instead of silently save the file to the folder, can I have label show first, then manually save to the folder that I choose?

The way to do this is to use cutepdf or some other print-to-pdf tool which gives you full control

2. Can I manually set the default file name to: "date - first 4 words of item title - zip - state - quantity"? It looks like this: "20120921-Canon Pixma IP2702 Printer-61000-IL-2.pdf".

We would need more detail on the use case (we need to understand how the file name is important).

If you want, you can email detail to support at shiprush.com

macboat
09-24-2012, 09:56 PM
The way to do this is to use cutepdf or some other print-to-pdf tool which gives you full control
I have CutPDF writer installed, however, the label still won't display when I click the print button, it took me directly to save as windows.

We would need more detail on the use case (we need to understand how the file name is important). If you want, you can email detail to support at shiprush.com

I can write it here so others may chip in their opinions too. Here is how we manage our shipments and inventory. We have multiple warehouses located at different states. When we have new orders, we will first check which warehouse carries the item, then, our staff will pick the warehouse that closest to our customer, then send the invoice and label to that warehouse manager to drop ship. At the same time, the system will update the number of item in stock so we can keep a close track of inventory.

So, it is important for us to view the date, items, zip code and quantity of the file name, so we can make sure we send the correct label to the correct warehouse.

SYSOPP
09-25-2012, 06:55 AM
I have CutPDF writer installed, however, the label still won't display when I click the print button, it took me directly to save as windows.

This is a setting in cutepdf (auto open or something). I think the flow will be:

Print label in SR
It opens in PDF viewer (pdf tool auto names the pdf to a work dir set in the pdf tool)
You save as and save the PDF to the dir and name you want

The above flow can be done in all the PDF tools I have seen.

I can write it here so others may chip in their opinions too. Here is how we manage our shipments and inventory. We have multiple warehouses located at different states. When we have new orders, we will first check which warehouse carries the item, then, our staff will pick the warehouse that closest to our customer, then send the invoice and label to that warehouse manager to drop ship. At the same time, the system will update the number of item in stock so we can keep a close track of inventory.

So, it is important for us to view the date, items, zip code and quantity of the file name, so we can make sure we send the correct label to the correct warehouse.

This is very helpful.

We understand, and are working on new angles that will help address this in the future.
For the time being, the above flow should let you see the PDF in one click (from the Ship click), and you can take it from there.

Thank you!

macboat
09-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Thank you!