PDA

View Full Version : Question on address valiation

giddyup
02-21-2017, 07:42 AM
I'm evaluating the level of address validation I would like to do.

If I do Basic address validation and the street, city and state are correct but the zip code is incorrect will the validation fail and alert me or will it correct it and print the label?

I recently had this issue of the post office just delivering the item correctly but the zip code was incorrect (so I shipped to 12345 and they delivered to 12346). I'd like for this situation to just fail verification and not print a label but I'm not sure what I should set validation to?

Thanks for the help!

SYSOPS
02-21-2017, 08:27 AM
If I do Basic address validation and the street, city and state are correct but the zip code is incorrect will the validation fail and alert me or will it correct it and print the label?
If we can find the match based on the rest of the address, we will correct it and process the shipment. Do keep in mind that postal shipments have to validate the address much more strictly than UPS or FedEx. That is the USPS rule.

I recently had this issue of the post office just delivering the item correctly but the zip code was incorrect (so I shipped to 12345 and they delivered to 12346). I'd like for this situation to just fail verification and not print a label but I'm not sure what I should set validation to?
If you want the above, set it to Strict.

HTH,
SYSOPS

SYSOPP
02-21-2017, 12:29 PM

A couple of ideas are getting mixed together, so let's review for a moment.

Basic check will just see if the city/state/zip combo is legit. It will not match a street address to the city/state/zip. The street address is basically ignored when set to Basic. (So, in the example you describe, Basic prob did its job as expected, but the street address was actually in 12346, so the post office did that.)

Strict will attempt (note, all address systems have imperfections) to match everything together (city/state/zip AND street address AND suite # if needed at that address). You can try it interactively and see. Open a new shipment, punch in the address with 12345 zip, and hit the Verify Address.... (which does what Strict does, but does it where you can see it).... does it change the zip to 12346 ? If so, that is the system doing its job, and it shows you what ShipRush would have done had it been set to Strict.