PDA

View Full Version : New USPS APV system

JamesB
07-19-2017, 06:36 AM
We received notice from Endicia (we still have an old active account with them) regarding USPS Automated Package Verification System. It reads:

"Starting August 1, 2017, the USPS plans to change the way they handle under-paid and over-paid postage amounts for packages.

The USPS will use the new Automated Package Verification (APV) system to verify the weight, dimensions, package type and entry ZIP Code for all packages processed through USPS sorting facilities.

APV only affects domestic shipping labels with a USPS Tracking barcode. Postage with no embedded tracking barcodes, such as stamps or postage printed for Large Envelopes & Flats and #10 Envelopes, will not be affected.

What does this mean for you?
Prior to APV, packages identified as having under-paid postage were rejected or delivered "postage due." Once APV goes into effect, packages identified as having under-paid postage will be delivered without delay to the recipient and the amount of under-paid postage will be deducted from your postage account balance.
When overpaid packages are identified, your postage account will be credited for the amount of the over-paid postage. Prior to APV, overpayments were not identified nor credited."

Will ShipRush Discount Postage be affected by this change, and allow for debit/credits to our account for any issue where the item was mis-weighed or mis-measured?

Thanks!

SYSOPS
07-19-2017, 09:04 AM
I have opened Case 59861 to see how that will be handled with ShipRush Discount Postage.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

SYSOPS
07-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Will ShipRush Discount Postage be affected by this change, and allow for debit/credits to our account for any issue where the item was mis-weighed or mis-measured?
This will impact all postal providers. Everyone has to implement supporting this new feature with the Post Office. You shouldn't need to do anything on your side as the servers that create the actual shipping label will be involved.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

FLshipper
07-25-2017, 09:11 AM
This will impact all postal providers. Everyone has to implement supporting this new feature with the Post Office. You shouldn't need to do anything on your side as the servers that create the actual shipping label will be involved.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

How about reporting on this? Let's say a package measured 21x21x6, but someone entered in the dimensions as 12x12x6. Looks like the post office would charge our account for the extra postage amount... But how do we know it happened? Looks like Endicia has a way for you to see the amount that was subtracted, and the associated tracking number.

Does discount postage have a method for us to see that? To see the tracking numbers that the post office is charging us extra for?

SYSOPS
07-25-2017, 10:59 AM
It will be implemented once the postal providers we use in the background have this new feature enabled in their software and they are able to report these updates back to our application.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

FLshipper
07-25-2017, 11:02 AM
It will be implemented once the postal providers we use in the background have this new feature enabled in their software and they are able to report these updates back to our application.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

Is there any ETA at all? I'd hate to go for any extended time period with out seeing that data. Fedex basically does the same thing, and we audit their bills every week b/c we find errors every single time.

SYSOPS
07-25-2017, 11:25 AM
No formal ETA is available as the USPS hasn't fully setup all the specs for the postal providers. There will be more info available to us from the USPS and the postal providers in August as this new program is rolled out.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

SYSOPP
07-25-2017, 08:24 PM
We are in close contact with the postal service on this topic.

There is nothing to do at this time. It appears it will be some weeks or months before anything happens.

ShipRush Discount Postage will show all these adjustments in ShipRush Settings, in the Billing area, when you download a report.

Mwtsjoe
07-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Just to be clear you're saying it will be weeks or months before we can see the adjustments they're making or weeks/months before they actually make the adjustments? Needless to say I am pretty wary of writing post office a blank check while they test out their system on 1000 items shipped per month. Thx for any info.

SYSOPS
07-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Weeks and months before this is all fleshed out by the Post Office.

HTH,
SYSOPS

Mwtsjoe
07-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Ok so are you are you expecting adjustments to start being made on Tuesday or not until all of the PC postage providers have everything in place to support the new system? Sorry just want to clarify as if they're going to start next week I'm thinking of sending all parcels I'd normally send usps through FedEx to be safe until I get some feedback. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen that I'd like to avoid, thx again.

SYSOPS
07-28-2017, 02:51 PM
It will require all the postal providers to have their ducks in a row along with the post office themselves. That is going to take weeks and months to occur. I'm sorry but we do not have the full details on this as of yet, as it all hasn't been made available to everyone yet.

SYSOPS

Mwtsjoe
07-28-2017, 02:53 PM
Appreciate the info

FLshipper
08-15-2017, 11:48 AM
It will require all the postal providers to have their ducks in a row along with the post office themselves. That is going to take weeks and months to occur. I'm sorry but we do not have the full details on this as of yet, as it all hasn't been made available to everyone yet.

SYSOPS

Looks like USPS pushed the date out to today (8-15-17). When you download the transactions report for USPS, is it the 'TransactionType' column we should be looking at to find the APV adjustments?

Currently I am seeing the following 'Transaction Type': ShippingShip, Deposit, ShippingVoid.

What will the name be of the adjustments?

duckfaceship
08-20-2017, 05:41 AM
Looks like USPS pushed the date out to today (8-15-17). When you download the transactions report for USPS, is it the 'TransactionType' column we should be looking at to find the APV adjustments?

Currently I am seeing the following 'Transaction Type': ShippingShip, Deposit, ShippingVoid.

What will the name be of the adjustments?

Anything new on this? 5 days in, haven't seen any updated of an adjustment in either direction. I ship a lot of 3-4 ounce stuff, and it will only take a hair to put up over 4.1 ounces and get me charged extra.So i am curious. I probably won't change, and make them just charge me if it's 5 oz vs 4oz since 4.0 and 4.1 is merely less than a gram. Considering i bulk ship everything 4oz to begin with.

SYSOPS
08-21-2017, 07:40 AM
We have not had a formal update from our postal provider systems that this is fully implemented and ready across all of USPS shipping. It has to be in place on their servers before USPS can start to enforce. Once that is ready on their servers, we will have more information for ShipRush users.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

duckfaceship
08-21-2017, 07:43 AM
We have not had a formal update from our postal provider systems that this is fully implemented and ready across all of USPS shipping. It has to be in place on their servers before USPS can start to enforce. Once that is ready on their servers, we will have more information for ShipRush users.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

ty 4char

SYSOPP
08-21-2017, 08:01 PM
For reference, ShipRush status is updated here: https://twitter.com/shiprush_status