PDA

View Full Version : Could not start the Z-Firm ShipRush v4 service on Local Computer.

KentF
11-10-2005, 05:02 AM
When our server reboots after updating itself from the Microsoft updates, the ShipRush v4 service does not load 90% of the time. When I try to force the service to start, I get the following error:

"Could not start the Z-Firm ShipRush v4 service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error ..."

This is really annoying and I don't want to keep rebooting our server all the time. Why won't this service start properly. The ShipRush v3 for UPS seem so always work correctly.

SYSOPS
11-10-2005, 06:00 AM
Great question. Since you stated 90% of the time, does it actually start then at some point (either after a reboot or you manually starting it)?

Without knowing your environment, I do not have the perfect answer at this time. Locate a file called shiprushserver.log under program files\z-firm llc\shiprush v4 and email that to support at zfirmllc dot com so we can check for any specific errors related to this.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

KentF
11-10-2005, 06:47 AM
I have done as you've asked. I looked into the file itself and the error is obvious, although I don't know how to fix it:

11/10/2005 8:39:10 AM SERVICE (ERROR) Unable to start shipping service: Could not bind socket. Address and port are already in use.

I hope this is fixable by some how defining another address & port? Please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

SYSOPS
11-10-2005, 06:59 AM
That is a clear error:

How to resolve:
Changes to two files:
program files\z-firm llc\shiprush v4\shiprushserver.ini
documents and settings\username\application data\z-firm llc\shiprush v4\shiprushconnectionsettings.ini

Look for the value <SOAPPORT>
Change to a different port # like 1125 or 1126

Now you might be able to start the service. You will also need to change the ini file(s) on workstations (shiprushconnectionssettings.ini) in order to connect from any workstation.

HTH,
SYSOPS

KentF
11-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Ok ... I changed the port setting from 1124 to 1125 in both Shiprushserver.ini files, one on the server and one on the workstation. The service came right up on the server. However, when I tried to start the workstation after the port change, I just get the ShipRush splash window and it locks up.

Is there something else I need todo like clear out some other files or change some other settings?

Kent

SYSOPS
11-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Did you also change the port setting in the shiprushserver.log file on the ShipRush Server PC (under program files\z-firm llc\shiprush v4)? If not, please stop the service, change to 1125, and restart the service.

SYSOPS

KentF
11-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't under stand the setting change in a log file. In the specific directory you are talking about, there is no port setting in the log file. I've searched it for setting 1124 and there's nothing. The log file is what you had me send to the z-firm support ... Please help me understand exactly what changes need to be made in the log file.

Kent

SYSOPS
11-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Sorry, trying to do many things at once. The files in question are

shiprushserver.ini (on the server pc)

and

documents and settings\username\application data\z-firm llc\shiprush v4\shiprushconnectionsettings.ini (this will be on any machine trying to connect to ShipRush FDX v4)

HTH,
SYSOPS

KentF
11-10-2005, 11:29 AM
You are 'Da Man ... Thanks. That was it.

SYSOPS
11-10-2005, 11:36 AM
That's what happens when you look at log files all day long. They haunt you.

Good to know that it is working. Do keep in mind that the issue may crop up again if another service is out randomly grabbing a port when it starts. Only way to work that issue out is to find out what service is starting on that port.

Great article from MS on how to check the ports:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

SYSOPS