PDA

View Full Version : Fed Ex server errors with Ship Rush

Dr Dre
12-08-2005, 05:14 PM
FYI you guys are great and the tech support is excellant. I am having a problem with Ship Rush in terms of Fed Ex errors and having been talking to tech support. Today I documented as much as I could in terms of errors. Here are my specs and some of what I discovered.

Quickbooks Enterprise 6 (with R2 patch) running on server
Multiuser mode for Quickbooks with 7 users
Win XP Pro machines with Ship Rush and one "admin" machine

The error I receive is "Fedex Server returned error. Fedex delivery signature options requested is not valid for this shipment A000"

It does not seem to follow any pattern in the four times I personally watched it happen. I am shipping all of our packages as driver release and manually selecting that every time even though it defaults to it. We have found that sometimes we can get them to ship if we switch to signature required. One experiment we did was to close Ship Rush and then restart it after which the package would ship through to Fed Ex as driver release where before it refused it. Any time we add three packages we cant ship at all. We also add handling charges every time which I mention because it was the only thing different I notcied between the time your tech support(while remoted in) tried to ship three packages and succeeded and we tried to ship three packages again later and failed.

The main issue is my shipping department is furious at me because this is erroring out up to ten times a day and then stops for no reason for a few hours. I can not seem to discern any pattern as of yet. I like the software and so do the users, but the errors are trouble. Please help me any way you can tomorrow so I can get this solved.

SYSOPR
12-09-2005, 08:53 AM
Hello!

Please go into Help | About and post here the version of ShipRush running (the whole number, 4.0.0.1234555 etc.)

Also, can you reproduce the error at will ?

IOW, Will a specific shipment (address, service, etc.) always throw this error?

If so, please dial up such a shipment and post a screen shot here to the forum (see the FAQ link above for steps to post a screen shot).

Also NOTE: Some shipments CANNOT be released. For example, COD, hazmat, high declared value, etc. are not release-able.

Dr Dre
12-09-2005, 10:34 AM
I will get the exact product version. It was downloaded from your servers last weekend and I know it is version 4. We got the activation code earlier in the week.

I am unable to reproduce the error at will, expect of course when I add three packages to one shipment. That seems almost automatic every time.

Once a package has errored out I am not able to get it to go through unless I use some of the above tactics in my earlier post like shutting the program down, or changing the shipping method to direct signature.

I just got some numbers and data from the shipping department while making this post. Out of 21 packages they sent they recieved two errors this morning and both times the shipping manager closed the program and then reopened it and then it worked fine.

In addition we ship no hazardous material etc or anything of great value either. In fact the value section is left blank.

I will be keeping an eye on the board today so please help me in any way you can. Even Fedex's IT person said your product looked very good and should be a nice fit for the company. I just have to get the errors fixed.

SYSOPR
12-09-2005, 11:10 AM
The next time the error happens, please drag the error msg down (so we can see the whole SR screen) and take a screen shot so we can see the whole SR screen and the error message.

(See the FAQ above for steps to take screen shots.)

Also, on the problem ShipRush PC, please make a zip of this directory:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR NAME>\Application Data\z-firm llc\ShipRush v4\Logging Info"

Note that \Application Data\ is HIDDEN, turn on View Hidden in explorer to see it.

Please email the zip to support at zfirmllc.com

Thank you!

Dr Dre
12-09-2005, 11:17 AM
I am on my way out now to the client and they are instructed to capture the next error on printscreen. I will contact all of you when I get there and then forward all the material and let you know I did so.

Dr Dre
12-09-2005, 02:29 PM
I have forwarded all the information to Support. We are now fairly sure that when a single package fails, stoping the application and then restarting it seems to work, but cause the user to loose all information of course.

SYSOPS
12-09-2005, 02:31 PM
We have the information. Engineering will look the data over. I do not have an ETA for this issue.

Please stand by,
SYSOPS

SYSOPR
12-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Thank you for your patience here.

Based on the data you sent us, this error is happening when you select the Estimate Cost option, correct?

Dr Dre
12-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Here is the information regarding the estimate cost function and how we use it. Once we have all the information keyed into the application we use the estimate cost function. Oddly enough sometimes it will show a number next to it, but most times we have to go to list services to see the estiamted cost. We need this information to run the credti card to bill the client for shipping. The application DOES NOT fail when we use this feature. After we use this we close the window and then click SHIP. That is when we get the errors that I sent to you. In other words the application is perfectly stable and operational until we hit SHIP. Of course as I stated before this error is intermittent and I cant seem to reproduce it.

SYSOPR
12-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Thank you for the log info, screen shots, etc.

We have done quite a bit of work on this, and have had to pull in FedEx as well.

I would like to clarify:

The screen shots of errors you sent in to Z-Firm support appear when:

a) You press Ship

or

b) When you click on the Estimate Cost link

Please clarify what you click on to see the error.

Thank you

Dr Dre
12-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Only when I press ship. The estimating costs section seems to work flawlessly.

SYSOPR
12-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Thank you very much for your patience while we dug into this.

OK, we are starting to get a clue. If anything below is out of line let us know.

Issue you reported:

"Fedex Server returned error. Fedex delivery signature options requested is not valid for this shipment A000"

Answer:

Yes.

Not all signature options are available with all shipment types. Your shipment is dialed up with an unavailable combination of shipment options.

Solution:

Select Indirect Signature Required on all your FedEx Ground shipments and this problem will go away.

Is this confusing?

Yes.

What is going on?

FedEx introduced new signature services over the summer.
See http://www.fedex.com/us/services/shipinfo/signatureoptions.html?link=2
and http://www.fedex.com/us/update1.html

Your shipment is dialed up for 'No Signature' (aka signature release) -- This is what we see on the screen shots you sent us.

This No Signature option IS available for:

-FedEx Express
-FedEx Ground to residential addresses

But this option is NOT available for:

-FedEx Ground to commercial addresses

Don't ask us...., we don't make the rules (sorry).

From the FedEx book:

"All other non-residential U.S. Domestic FedEx Express
and FedEx Ground shipments and all International
shipments require an Indirect Signature. Direct Signature
and Adult Signature are available as an upgrade for U.S.
Domestic FedEx Express shipments. Direct Signature is
available as an upgrade for U.S. Domestic and
International FedEx Ground shipments. A surcharge will
be applied if an upgrade is selected. Deliver without
Signature is also available for U.S. Domestic FedEx
Express shipments only"

Now there is part of the ShipRush UI that is confusing, and we will fix it: The ShipRush UI let's you select No Signature for a Ground -> Commercial shipment, and some of the functions work when you do this. Heck, you can even ship. But the shipment goes through as Indirect Signature because that is the only kind of basic service there is for this shipment.

Bottom line:
The error message is correct, but it is intermittent so it is misleading and confusing. Z-Firm code is preventing the error message most of the time by 'just doing the right thing' behind the scenes for you. But you have found some steps (accidentally) that cause the error to surface.

But the error is simply as it is stated: The dialed up shipment is not allowed as such. Select Indirect Signature (which is what you are actually getting anyway) and all will be well.

And Z-Firm will clean up this experience in the ShipRush software.

Thank you again for your patience, persistence, and understanding on this.

Dr Dre
12-13-2005, 02:12 PM
I think I understand. In other words the crux of the whole situation is the following:

"This No Signature option IS available for:

-FedEx Express
-FedEx Ground to residential addresses

But this option is NOT available for:

-FedEx Ground to commercial addresses"

In other words we can not driver release Fed Ex ground to commercial addresses and that in conjunction with the following situation with SHip Rush:

"The error message is correct, but it is intermittent so it is misleading and confusing. Z-Firm code is preventing the error message most of the time by 'just doing the right thing' behind the scenes for you. But you have found some steps (accidentally) that cause the error to surface."

But the error is simply as it is stated: The dialed up shipment is not allowed as such. Select Indirect Signature (which is what you are actually getting anyway) and all will be well."

So this is why the software performs as such. In other words if they select Indirect Signature every time then the problem ends.

I will talk to the shipping manager and go over this with her and then will test this out. Please respond back to let me know if I understand this correctly.

SYSOPR
12-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Yes, you understand correctly.

(In researching this, I was incredulous that there is no such thing as signature release for Ground to commercial addresses.... I called 1-800-GO-FEDEX to do a reality check... and they confirmed it.

Feel free to perform such reality checks yourself if you feel the need!)