PDA

View Full Version : USPS charged cust. for delivery confirm

katarina823
07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I received the following email from one of our customers:

"I was so excited to get my certificate. I wanted to let you know, however (and please don't take this as a complaint, just for your information) that I had to go pick it up at the post office and pay about $4 for it. They said that I should probably let you know that if the item is not 1/4" thick, and it's sent confirmed, then there's additional postage due. Since you paid postage on it, the postal worker said you probably did not know that and I should pass it on to you, just in case. Again, I'm not complaining and gladly paid to get it. Just wanted to let you know."

Here is her label info. copied to notepad for your review:
Shipment date : 6/30/2006
Shipping service : USPS First Class
Tracking # : 9101148008600124917998
Shipment Ref :
Shipment Address : Jackie Bull 7801 Wilmington Dr. Rowlett TX 75089
Est Charges : 0.77

Why did this happen and how can I make sure it doesn't happen again?

Thank you,

Kathy
Powder Blue Productions
kathy@turbokick.com
1-800-315-2505

SYSOPR
07-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Hello!

Sorry about the hassle!

Here is the story:

ShipRush USPS and Endicia, today, are for First Class and Express 'parcels' only. (This is where the 1/4" thick rule comes from.) From your message here, your mail piece was sent first class, and looks to have been in an envelope (which is called "Letter Post" by USPS).

So you can use these services, without any problems or hassles, if you use a padded envelope that is at least 1/4" thick.

Now for Priority Mail, you can use the USPS Flat Rate Priority Envelope, and it does not need to be 1/4" thick.

So what happened here is NOT that you (or the recipient) was charged for the delivery confirm. What happened is that the post office does not want their 'parcel' oriented services to be used for what they classify as "letter post."

We will try to describe the details of this more clearly in our docs.

Also, we are working on adding letter post services in the future.

Sorry again for the hassle, and thank you for posting the question.