PDA

View Full Version : First shipment with USPS & subsequent errors

vtjballeng
09-07-2006, 03:11 AM
Ok, so i liked the solution that I tried for FedEx for free and decided to buy the FedEx license & UPS License for quickbooks premier and setup USPS with endicia & USPS. I have everything setup the way I want it now but with my first USPS shipment I ran into a few issues:

1) Estimate cost - This seems to fail unless I put in a value for the declared value. My customers rarely choose to insure their packages and I would like to see the value before shipping. Why is this broken?

2) Actual shipping values - I shipped a 12 oz (1lb or less is the same rate) package from 23235 to 92311 vis USPS Parcel Post. This is a $3.95 service from Paypal and USPS.com. My label from Z-firm/Endicia cost $4.09 with no insurance. Why?

3) Email testing - UPS and FedEx send their own carrier messages that I'm reasonably happy with for the moment, I may customize them at some point in the future. USPS however requires a custom message. I put in my desired text but I'd like to send myself a test email. How?

4) Error - After printing my first package I got an error that I copied to the clipboard and accidentally lost because I copied and pasted something else while trying to get some packages done today. However, the code said it had no error desription and was something like code 161 or perhaps 0161. I am a little worried that there was a problem with this package, Any ideas about what this might be?

I'd appreciate any help with these problems.

vtjballeng
09-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Ok, so i liked the solution that I tried for FedEx for free and decided to buy the FedEx license & UPS License for quickbooks premier and setup USPS with endicia & USPS. I have everything setup the way I want it now but with my first USPS shipment I ran into a few issues:

1) Estimate cost - This seems to fail unless I put in a value for the declared value. My customers rarely choose to insure their packages and I would like to see the value before shipping. Why is this broken?

2) Actual shipping values - I shipped a 12 oz (1lb or less is the same rate) package from 23235 to 92311 vis USPS Parcel Post. This is a $3.95 service from Paypal and USPS.com. My label from Z-firm/Endicia cost $4.09 with no insurance. Why?

3) Email testing - UPS and FedEx send their own carrier messages that I'm reasonably happy with for the moment, I may customize them at some point in the future. USPS however requires a custom message. I put in my desired text but I'd like to send myself a test email. How?

4) Error - After printing my first package I got an error that I copied to the clipboard and accidentally lost because I copied and pasted something else while trying to get some packages done today. However, the code said it had no error desription and was something like code 161 or perhaps 0161. I am a little worried that there was a problem with this package, Any ideas about what this might be?

I'd appreciate any help with these problems.
Ok, so void issue #3 above as I simply set my USPS to "print test labels" and used this function to send test messages. I have this resolved. However I have found another issue:

New #3) Printing options - I set my Zebra printer to print at 13 darkness and 1.5in/s for quality printing. I see a darkness option in the Z-firm software but no speed option? Can this be adjusted elsewhere? I also noticed that my electronic rate approval for USPS shipments and some fields on Express mail packages are too low on my 4 x 6 labels (no doc tab). I tried changing the vertical offset value all over the place with no change in the vertical placement of the label printing, how do I offset this so that my information at the bottom of the print will appear (noting that I have extra room at the top)? I have a Zebra LP 2844.

vtjballeng
09-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Ok, so void issue #3 above as I simply set my USPS to "print test labels" and used this function to send test messages. I have this resolved. However I have found another issue:

New #3) Printing options - I set my Zebra printer to print at 13 darkness and 1.5in/s for quality printing. I see a darkness option in the Z-firm software but no speed option? Can this be adjusted elsewhere? I also noticed that my electronic rate approval for USPS shipments and some fields on Express mail packages are too low on my 4 x 6 labels (no doc tab). I tried changing the vertical offset value all over the place with no change in the vertical placement of the label printing, how do I offset this so that my information at the bottom of the print will appear (noting that I have extra room at the top)? I have a Zebra LP 2844.
Ok. I looked into the print settings and have found the following:

Vertical Offset & Darkness settings have no effect. The Z-firm software is not using the printer driver defaults either.... is this information fixed or are these settings just broken? "Print Reverse" does work and partically alleviates the problem so I will likely be using this setting. I still would like darkness control, Vertical Offset control and Density control.

SYSOPR
09-07-2006, 09:19 AM
RE Printing labels:

ShipRush FedEx, UPS and Endicia all offer thermal label support.

However, ShipRush for USPS is laser printer only at this time.

So issues related to ShipRush USPS to a zebra are out side the feature set of ShipRush (sorry!)

SYSOPR
09-07-2006, 09:26 AM

There are still some issues related to estimate cost with USPS and Endicia. These are software flaws that we are working on.

Now this is odd. ShipRush uses the same published rates as all those other systems. All I can think is that there is some difference between shipment 'a' and shipment 'b' (service, weight, something).

Just send a test shipment to yourself. (Then delete it in ShipRush View Shipments.)

We would need a screen shot of the error to have a clue.
If you have the label and the shipment is in the ShipRush View Shipments area, then it has been processed, and there is nothing to worry about.

vtjballeng
09-07-2006, 09:47 AM
RE Printing labels:

ShipRush FedEx, UPS and Endicia all offer thermal label support.

However, ShipRush for USPS is laser printer only at this time.

So issues related to ShipRush USPS to a zebra are out side the feature set of ShipRush (sorry!)

Well I am using ShipRush for FedEx successfully. I haven't yet used my UPS version though I should shortly. ShipRush for USPS definately has a drop-down for Laser, Eltron / Zebra Orion, Eltron / Zebra LP2443, Eltron / Zebra LP2348, Eltron / Zebra 2844, etc. Mine is the Zebra 2844 and I shipped a package this morning using this thermal printer. The label had a bar code on it and looked generally ok, except that it didn't have the rectangular bar code / 2d code next to the shipping value. I didn't know that the USPS ShipRush didn't support the thermal printer (a big part of why I would want to use it!) So I wonder if this package will be refused by USPS... get lost... I'm not sure and a little worried now. Why does the drop-down selection exist if it doesn't work? Again, the output from my Zebra 2844 visually looked ok with the delivery confirmation barcode, address information, etc all on the page properly.

So, in short, does this work or doesn't it? If not, when will it be working? I wanted to drop Paypal entirely but this problem will prevent me from doing that.

vtjballeng
09-07-2006, 09:56 AM
There are still some issues related to estimate cost with USPS and Endicia. These are software flaws that we are working on.

Any expected date for this fix?

Now this is odd. ShipRush uses the same published rates as all those other systems. All I can think is that there is some difference between shipment 'a' and shipment 'b' (service, weight, something).

I tried this with several different options and the rates didn't match. Just try a few different pacakges and look at the USPS rates... they seem to go by even intervals most of the time and I just get random numbers that are a little high from USPS ShipRush for endicia. I will check at some point to see if this is a percentage or something consistent.

Just send a test shipment to yourself. (Then delete it in ShipRush View Shipments.)

Done and developed, thanks.

We would need a screen shot of the error to have a clue.
If you have the label and the shipment is in the ShipRush View Shipments area, then it has been processed, and there is nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the reassurance, I will take a screenshot next time.

The FedEx and UPS ShipRush software certainly seems more developed but once you get the USPS version working, I'm going to dump this on several companies I work with. Keep up the good work guys! This is a great time saver for companies using FedEx ship manager/UPS Worlship/USPS click-n-ship.

SYSOPR
09-20-2006, 10:20 AM
The end user has reported by email that the pre-release addresses all issues except for international (which is not an available feature yet).

vtjballeng
09-21-2006, 02:55 AM

Just a note to users who may read this post, this shipping value was off by exactly $0.14. It is off by this amount because Delivery Confirmation is automatically added but is not yet noted in the ShipRush software. So every shipment I make is off by this fixed value.

For my shipping label issues, I have to choose the print reverse option for my Zebra LP-2844 to make sure that all of the printed label shows up properly. I also do not yet have proper control of horizontal and vertical offset or print darkness. This issue is a small one and is not preventing me from shipping properly.

SYSOPR
09-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Thank you for mentioning the thermal label settings issue.

This is being addressed in case 12520.