PDA

View Full Version : 1st Class Delivery confirmation

pharry
10-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Delivery confirmation is not valid for first class envelopes (or flat rigid mailers). However, ShipRush is printing the confirmation on the labels with the confirmation number. The recipient will be charged additional money when they retrieve the package, bringing it up to the Priority Service rate.

Sometimes Post Offices will let it slide and not charge the difference, but many times they won't. Been there many times!

SYSOPR
10-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Our understanding (which I believe is consistent with yours, yes?) is that Delivery Confirmation is not valid for 'letter post.'

The package needs to be a 'parcel' to qualify for Delivery Confirmation.

A padded envelope qualifies as a parcel.... if it is thick enough. There seems to be ambiguity about how thick it needs to be in order to be considered a 'package' and not a 'letter'. The safe consensus is 3/4" thick.

That said, we have seen many cases where the envelope is not 3/4" thick, and is handled by the post office as a parcel no problem.

As long as it is considered a 'package' by the post office, it can go first class mail with delivery confirmation, even if it is only 3 oz or 6 oz or whatever, and it 'flies' cheaper than priority mail.

But... If it is less than 3/4" thick AND it is shipped First Class Mail AND the post office catches it (which varies a lot by post office), then you are absolutely right: The post office will then ding the recipient for the balance in postage to bring it up to Priority Mail postage amount.

We welcome all input and knowledge around this issue.

Thank you very much for bringing it up.

pharry
10-06-2006, 07:39 AM
I mail a lot of paper in rigid mailers - like those that photos are mailed in. If these go First Class, then I don't want a delivery confirmation because many times my customers are charged additional money.

When I processed this with ShipRush, I selected "Envelope" for the Packaging and "First Class" for the service. The label printed included a delivery confirmation. How would I specify no delivery confirmation?

SYSOPR
10-06-2006, 07:52 AM
At this time, ShipRush for Endicia only processes 'parcel post' which always will include delivery confirmation.

We are working on the next version of ShipRush for Endicia which will also offer letter post options.

(So the short answer is that you cannot turn off delivery confirmation in ShipRush for Endicia at this time.)