PDA

View Full Version : Company Name Does Not Appear

clhayes
01-24-2007, 01:38 PM
We import our order from Volusion into Quickbooks and then use Ship Rush to print shipping labels. When someone asks to have their package sent to a company address the company name does not appear so it has to be manually entered. Basically the persons first and last name appears twice. Any suggestions?

CH

SYSOPS
01-24-2007, 01:47 PM
How is the data showing in the Ship To window in QuickBooks? Is it something like:

ACME Supply
Fred Jones
123 Main St
Seattle WA 98122

If so, ShipRush should read that company name from the Ship To window. Maybe you need to go into settings | program settings | cm settings and set to Hybrid.

SYSOPS

clhayes
01-24-2007, 02:24 PM
When we import from Volusion into Quickbooks as a sales receipt customers are given numbers instead of names as QB doesn't allow for duplicate customer names. The company name appears correctly in the ship to address in the customer manager but Ship Rush seems to pull from Company Name and First Name, Last Name not from the Ship to address. The attached graphic will illustrate what I mean...

SYSOPS
01-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Did you change the setting in ShipRush to Hybrid? We may have some issues here as the contact and company in the QB settings are the same.

SYSOPS

clhayes
01-24-2007, 03:17 PM
yes, i changed to hybrid but that didn't work either.

SYSOPS
01-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Just as a test:
Enter the company and contact in the Ship To window
Remove the space in the address information
Test

Does that pull into ShipRush correctly?

SYSOPS

clhayes
01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
We changed it in the ship to address to include both company and contact name and it still pulls the name twice. any suggestions?

SYSOPS
01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I have tried to replicate here without success. I have entered the data exactly as shown in your screenshot, and I am able to pull the company information.

Go to Help | About and let us know the build\version of ShipRush you're using.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

ncgti
02-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I have the same problem - duplicate names when there is no company name. It happens on Priority Mail and on First Class. I'm using ShipRush 4.7 and QB Pro 2006 (updated)

SYSOPS
02-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Are you also importing your contact info into QuickBooks?

As a test enter the contact info into the Job List manually, and test. Do you have ShipRush set to pull from the Customer Job List or Hybrid (Settings | Program Settings | CM Settings)?

SYSOPS

ncgti
02-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Are you also importing your contact info into QuickBooks?

As a test enter the contact info into the Job List manually, and test. Do you have ShipRush set to pull from the Customer Job List or Hybrid (Settings | Program Settings | CM Settings)?

SYSOPS

I have not imported anything into QuickBooks that I didn't type in manually.

I have tried both job list and hybrid - same results.

I'll be glad to fill in a blank shipment manually, if you can help me with my other thread on the SSL problem first - I can't connect to test it !!! :)

SYSOPS
02-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Your other post has been addressed, and will require development to fix.

SYSOPS

LorraineM
02-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm having the same issue, I believe, while setting up to use ShipRush.

To learn where each piece of information was going, I set up a customer as follows {with the (xxx) typed in the field}:

Customer Name: John Smith (cust name)
Bill to: John Smith (bill to)
Ship to: John Smith (ship to)
Ship to: Company Name (ship to)

What I learned is (and correct me if I'm wrong):

Scenario #1 - In Hybrid mode, with Flip Company and Contact name checked, and only one name line in the Ship To box (ie only name or company name - not both):

The name as shown in the Ship To field is duplicated when the label is printed. You can't see this when the ShipRush window is open while creating a label - all you see at that time is the Ship To address as shown on the Sales Receipt or Invoice. It appears as this on the screen:

Company: ...blank...
Name: John Smith (ship to)
123 Main Street
Anywhere, CA 90001

It prints as this:

Label line 1: John Smith (ship to)
Label line 2: John Smith (ship to)
Label line 3: 123 Main Street
Label line 4: Anywhere, CA 90001

Scenario #2 - In Hybrid mode, WITHOUT Flip Company and Contact name checked, and only one name line in the Ship To box (ie only name or company name - not both):

The Contact field is placed in the Name box on the label. It appears as this on the ShipRush screen, and prints the same on the label:

Company: John Smith (ship to)
Name: John Smith (contact name)
123 Main Street
Anywhere, CA 90001

So, one method duplicates the Ship To name, the other method pulls in the Contact field. This is when there is only one name line in the Ship to field (ie no company name or no person name - just a 3 line address). If there are two name lines in the Ship To box (total 4 line address), then those two lines are printed on the label and there is not a duplication of the name. That is unless Flip Company and Contact box is not checked, then the Contact name appears instead of one of the other lines. I don't know if it assumes the company name is the first line or second line in the Ship To box.

I'm sure there is a good reason for why this is occuring. However, when I read about the program, I assumed that what we enter as the Ship To name and address is how the label would be printed. I didn't realize that names would be duplicated, or the contact field would be pulled in. If we don't have 2 lines of name, can't the label just be a 3 line address? In any case, I don't understand why the Contact name is pulled in. Perhaps that works for some companies. We are using Scenario #1 to solve our problem, but I don't like the name printing twice.

We have many situations where our customer has a their package sent to someone else, such as for a gift. The customer's name is in the Contact field, and we have another person's name and address in the Ship To box. When the Flip Company and Contact box is NOT checked, the Contact name would be incorporated into the address on the label (again, not shown on the ShipRush screen, though), which is not how the package should be addressed. By checking the Flip Company and Contact box we get rid of the Contact name, but the Ship To name is duplicated.

If the system won't allow only 3 lines of address when there are only three lines, my request would be for all fields (that are to be printed on the label) to show on the ShipRush label creation screen so we can see how the label will be printed, and be given an opportunity to edit the second printed name field. This applies to Scenario #1 only - Scenario #2 has both fields appear. There is probably more to the reasons for why fields are where they are then I can begin to know. This is just my experience and ideas. Hope this is helpful.

SYSOPS
02-02-2007, 06:35 AM
The following applies to all versions of the software in regards to the name printing twice on labels:
http://www.zfirm.com/knowledge_bases/shiprush/sr3p-0012.txt

There are some scenarios in QuickBooks where the info pulled my not be the desired result. Checking the settings and getting it to pull what you want is the goal, but may take some tweaking of the settings and\or how the data is entered into QuickBooks.

SYSOPS

robertfranz
03-15-2007, 07:21 AM
The following applies to all versions of the software in regards to the name printing twice on labels:
http://www.zfirm.com/knowledge_bases/shiprush/sr3p-0012.txt

There are some scenarios in QuickBooks where the info pulled my not be the desired result. Checking the settings and getting it to pull what you want is the goal, but may take some tweaking of the settings and\or how the data is entered into QuickBooks.

SYSOPS

I don't really consider this to be a solution, or even a coherent explanation.

Pulling the info from the crm app and spitting it out to a label is really all ShipRush does. The postage aspect is a trivial matter already handle by Endicia.
I think I actually called in about this issue - either that or my post disappeared or it's too early in the morning for me to find it, so I don't recall the exact scenario, but our workaround was to slap a space into the company name field in Shiprush. This eliminated the dupe name issue. Why Shiprush is incapable of doing this programmatically is beyond me.

I assure you I tried all other possible configurations including changing the way the data is entered in qb. This was the only way for us to print labels that didn't look like hammered ****.

I know this is a 'free' app - but it worries me since we are going to be moving to Stoneedge OrderManager soon, which also uses Shiprush.

I am assuming that with OM, this won't be an issue since SR won't be reading from QB and I hope SE wouldn't put up with this problem migrating into thier product.

Really guys - you can see this affects a lot of people.
Step up and resolve this properly.

zfadmin2
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Thank everyone for the input on this topic. We apologize that the matter is problematic in any way.

Some quick notes, and some longer answers.

Quick Stuff, in snippet form:

ShipRush with Stone Edge will probably behave better than what you see today with QuickBooks. This is because Stone Edge feeds data to ShipRush more reliably than QuickBooks can.

Part of the problem you are hitting is that grabbing from QuickBooks has its quirks. If the full ship to info is in QB (as part of the customer record), then ShipRush can reliably get the full company/contact/address. But when the information is coming from the QB invoice itself, the company name may be dropped, as you found.

(We have reworked this area a bit in ShipRush v5, and we hope it proves useful!)

The deeper stuff:

ShipRush duplicates the contact name on the label, as you have found, if a company name is not provided. This only happens if either the Company or the Contact entry is blank, if both are provided, this does not happen.

While less than ideal, this is deliberate on Z-Firm's part. Some shipping services by FedEx and UPS require that both a company and contact value be provided. Worse, the services that require both have changed (expanded) over the years.

So Z-Firm had a choice:

a) Force the user to provide information he may not have (e.g. provide a company name for a shipment to an individual).

And add prompts to ShipRush, requesting more information (adding steps and slowness to processing shipments)

or

b) Allow the user to provide only one piece of information, and ShipRush will use it for both Company and Contact.

Yes, I know, this approach is not perfect. Wouldn't it be better if ShipRush could narrow this, and only do it when it is actually really required, instead of doing it all the time?

Certainly, this could be done.

But this path also has its downsides:

i) ShipRush will now behave differently based on the shipping service, and users will call / post to Z-Firm asking 'why is it behaving differently? I did a shipment to ACME roofing just fine, but now I am shipping to Sally, and it is requiring a company, but I am shipping to Sally at home! Why is it being different today?' (We all like consistency...)

ii) The list of services requiring both company and contact keeps growing, and Z-Firm will get it wrong sometimes. (A hassle for everyone.)

So we felt that duping the name or company was the best compromise:

1) It is consistent

2) It reduces the data needed from the user to a minimum

3) It reduces the messageboxes ShipRush might throw at a user

4) It makes shipping faster to do

The cost of this compromise is that for residential shipments (e.g. there is no company name), the person's name will print twice. We felt this was a small price to pay because:

A) We think shipping labels are ugly as they are. Printing the same thing twice does not make them any worse (to our eyes)

B) We have never heard of a shipment RECIPIENT caring that his name was on the label twice

C) We personally have received many hundreds of shipments over the years, (created by other shipping software) with the contact name duplicated (for the same reason ShipRush does).

D) This issue only applies to residential shipments (which are a minority of all shipments)

We understand that what we did is a compromise, and that it does have a 'cost' (e.g. the contact name will print twice, and that some users may not expect this).

We apologize to anyone who has found this cost problematic. As a user noted here on the forum, it is easy to suppress the 'cost' by entering something in the company field.

We work very hard making ShipRush the best it can be. We apologize if it fails you. If there is anything we can do better, please let me know.

Rafael Zimberoff
Product Manager
Z-Firm
rafael@zfirmllc.com