PDA

View Full Version : UPS shipping cost estimate and actual

massbay
09-20-2004, 12:58 PM
As I get ready to ship a UPS package, I am getting a very low cost when I request the "Estimate Cost" (link at lower left of pop-up ShipRush window). Then, after the shipment label is completed, the cost reported by ShipRush comes back much higher. The actual UPS charge is in between the two.

Two questions: why are the two costs provided by ShipRush different?
Is there a way to get a more accurate cost figure than these two numbers now provide?

I have accurately filled in all our ShipRush "shipping settings".

SYSOPS
09-20-2004, 01:39 PM
I am unable to replicate the issue without more information.

The estimate cost and what shows on the summary of the shipment (window that pops up after clicking ship).

The information from the how much comes from UPS servers, and is the courtesy amount that you would get from their website.

Is there anything indicated in the summary screen after clicking on ship, like an additional charge, or handling fees being added to the shipment?

Also, so I can try and replicate this issue more accurately, what where the shipment parameters:
shipment type
from city state zip
to city state zip
pounds
anything else checked for shipment - COD, signature, etc

Thank you,
SYSOPS

SYSOPR
09-20-2004, 04:42 PM
The rates should always be the same. Can you post a screen shot of your shipment?

(See the FAQ link at the top of this screen, it has the steps for posting screen shots.)

Thank you!

massbay
09-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Here are three screen shots (attachments) for a single 7 pound shipment to Delaware. The first shows the ShipRush UPS shipping cost estimate ($5.87). The second shows the cost after the shipment has been processed ($7.65). The third shows the estimate from the UPS site, which is almost always accurate for us ($6.25). In this example, the costs are closer than usual.

Thanks for the help. These will drive our accounting department crazy unless we can fix it.

-Bob

SYSOPS
09-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Screen 3 to me isn't of much value since we base the rate on the courtesy charge as if you went to http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US to calculate time and cost. I got the same value of 5.87 on that location as we do in ShipRush in the lower left hand corner.

So the real concern is where is the difference of 1.78 coming from between the airbill screen and the summary screen.

What build of ShipRush is this? Help | About will provide us with ShipRush version. Did you at one time install ShipRush UPS v3 Pro and then uninstall and go with ShipRush UPS v3 Basic?

SYSOPS

massbay
09-21-2004, 06:28 PM
According to the About screen, I am using ShipRush version: 3.0.0.346. I did get interrupted during an initial installation and started the whole thing over again a day later. The initial install was aborted and therefore was not unistalled.

The rest of the "About" window says,
Rate files version: UPS XML API
Fuel surcharge: 0.00%

SYSOPS
09-22-2004, 07:23 AM
Have you set any rates options in ShipRush under Settings | Shipping Settings | Rates?

If so, what?

If not, then there may be a corruption in data somewhere and the next step would be to uninstall ShipRush and do the following:
Delete the following folders:
program files\z-firm llc\shiprush v3 basic
documents and settings\username\application data\z-firm llc\shiprush v3

Reboot the PC and re-install ShipRush. The "how much" at the bottom of the airbill should match the summary screen after you click ship. We have not seen this before.

SYSOPS

massbay
09-22-2004, 09:21 AM
I had no rate options entered. So I'm trying to uninstall and start over, but that is not going so well. Uninstall does not seem to remove the application. It completes quickly. I've now deleted the two folders you mentioned.

Here is the current status: When I run the downloaded installation program ShipRushv3-Basic-Edition.exe, it offers two options : to update or uninstall. Neither seems to do anything. The folders you asked me to delete are in fact deleted.

Please help me start from scratch.

massbay
09-22-2004, 09:46 AM
By the way, I believe we initially downloaded our trial from the QuickBooks site
http://marketplace.intuit.com/AppCard/appinfo.asp?AppID=2166&QID=4053475&CatID=216
- that one looks like it is version 2. I'll try reinstalling and then uninstalling that version to see if that helps clean out the system.

massbay
09-22-2004, 09:54 AM
Ignore that last post about V2 from the QuickBooks site, that just had to do with the Fedex version, rather than the UPS version which we have been trying.

Still can't uninstall or re-install.

massbay
09-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Ok, I've used Karen's registry pruner to help and will now start over. I'll let you know how our next shipment goes.

massbay
09-22-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm back after uninstalling and reinstalling. It looks like nothing has changed, but the fact that your look-up of the UPS shipping result agreed with the $5.87 of the ShipRush estimate screen may be a clue.

When I check the rate manually, my figure is $7.65, which agrees with the shipping completed ShipRush figure. This is the rate for a 7 lb shipment to zip code 19803, dropping off the package at a UPS customer counter.

$5.87 is the rate for daily pickup. In fact, when I change the ShipRush setting between daily pickup and customer counter, the cost estimate does not change.

It sounds to me like a bug in the ShipRush program, where the setting of "Pick up type" is not being used to determine the estimate cost.

Do you agree and can we get a fix?

SYSOPS
09-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Do you have ShipRush set to Occasional insteady of Daily Pickup?

I can replicate this issue now once I change the shipper account type in ShipRush.

I will get this reported to development now. I do not have a timeframe available. Once that is available, I will let you know.

Thank you,
SYSOPS

massbay
09-22-2004, 12:07 PM
I have ShipRush set to Customer Counter (I don't see Occasional on mine, but I guess that would be the same thing).

Thanks for the help. I'll stand by. It is important to get this fixed, as we use the estimate function to finish our customer quotes, before we actually ship.

SYSOPS
09-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Bit more information on the subject:

http://www.zfirm.com/knowledge_bases/shiprush/sr3b-0008.txt

Once we have an update out for ShipRush UPS v3 Basic (very soon) this kbase article will address the issue.

SYSOPS