PDA

View Full Version : Issue re company name coming from PayPal

Mike A.
04-17-2007, 06:44 AM
A PayPal transaction that had a company name present in the data did not seem to come over properly.

When generating the label, it seemed to substitute a duplicate of the individual's name in place of the company name from PayPal. Also, it seemed to bump everything following in the address down one line. That is, the individual's name was pushed to the address field and the address pushed down to become the second line of the address.

I noticed this because I couldn't get the address to verifiy even though the information looked right. Finally realized that I had the name in the first address field. ; )

Haven't had another come over with a company name yet to tell whether it's in all cases or what happens if there's an actual second address line in the PayPal data or when there's both a company name and second address line (e.g., suite number).

EDIT TO ADD:

Actually, looking at it again, the above isn't exactly right...

What it appears to do is to leave the company name blank (even though present in the PayPal data), puts the name in the name field, and puts a duplicate of the name in the first address field, and the address in the second address field.

From the payment notification e-mail, the data in this case was in the form:

Whatever, Inc.
John Doe
1234 Whatever Street
Elgin, IL 60123
United States

For this address, the Order Manager shows:

Contact Name: John Doe
Company name: (blank)
Address: John Doe, John Doe 1234 Whatever Street Elgin, IL 60123, United States

When clicked to ship, the label form shows:

Company: (blank)
Name: John Doe
Address: John Doe
Address2: 1234 Whatever Street
City: Elgin
State: IL
Zip: 60123

SYSOPR
04-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Has this happened on any other sales, or just this one?

Mike A.
04-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Has this happened on any other sales, or just this one?

Just that one so far. Don't think that I've had any others come over with a company name in the address. I'll likely have another within the next few days and I'll let you know how it goes.

SYSOPR
04-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Ahhh, that is the clue.... most sales through paypal lack a company name (and in eBay land, of course, there is never a company name).

That should lead us to the solution!

Thank you for the detail!

Mike A.
04-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I've had several others with company names in the PayPal payment notice and they all seem to be processed in the same way as described above.

You will see company names in ebay transactions at times. They may be individual accounts, but they can contain a company name in the address. Most sellers rely on the payment service for the actual shipping address though so most don't deal with ebay itself as far as the addressing.