PDA

View Full Version : Trying to use demo, but getting Socket Error when trying to connect

ggongola
06-02-2004, 12:32 PM
I have entered our UPS account number and other profile information. When I click Next, I get the following after about 30 seconds:

"Socket error 10060
Connection timed out"

What should I do?

SYSOPR
06-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Sounds like you may have a personal firewall or ?? blocking access to the internet. If so, disable the firewall for the setup wizard.

If you are on dial up, bring up the internet connection, then go through the wizard.

Does this get you warm?

ggongola
06-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Yes, our network has a firewall/proxy server. What port needs to be open for ShipRush to work?

Sounds like you may have a personal firewall or ?? blocking access to the internet. If so, disable the firewall for the setup wizard.

If you are on dial up, bring up the internet connection, then go through the wizard.

Does this get you warm?

SYSOPS
06-03-2004, 08:24 AM
The only port required for ShipRush UPS v3 Basic is SSL 443.

But if you have a proxy setup that may also impact the connection. Can you switch to a transparent proxy setting in IE and then see if you can commission ShipRush?

SYSOPS

ggongola
06-04-2004, 05:11 AM
SSL port 443 is closed on our end. What website is ShipRush v3 trying to access? What about v2? I plan to use both. I will hopefully be able to get our IT group to open this port, but they need to know which websites we're trying to access. Is it ups.com and fedex.com, or zfirm.com or ?

The only port required for ShipRush UPS v3 Basic is SSL 443.

But if you have a proxy setup that may also impact the connection. Can you switch to a transparent proxy setting in IE and then see if you can commission ShipRush?

SYSOPS

SYSOPS
06-04-2004, 06:46 AM
SSL 443 is required for both ShipRush UPS and FedEx.

They will be contacting their respective websites, ups.com and fedex.com.

Or course, there may be additional address information at the front of those, like upslink.ups.com.

HTH,
SYSOPS

SYSOPR
06-04-2004, 10:15 AM
SSL port 443 is closed on our end.

Be careful. Of course it is closed, it should be for inbound.

But if you can surf to an https:// kind of url, you can get OUT on 443. This is what ShipRush does.. it communicates OUT on 443.

What IT needs to check is that an app like ShipRush can get OUT on 443 without any proxy configuration on the PC.

ggongola
06-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Ok, I think this explains the situation. I CAN get to HTTPS:// sites via IE so I CAN get out on 443, but apparently ShipRush cannot. IE uses a proxy server. So I assume I cannot set ShipRush to use/talk-with this proxy server, huh? So should IT have other options, besides going around the proxy? I will be meeting with them on Monday.

Be careful. Of course it is closed, it should be for inbound.

But if you can surf to an https:// kind of url, you can get OUT on 443. This is what ShipRush does.. it communicates OUT on 443.

What IT needs to check is that an app like ShipRush can get OUT on 443 without any proxy configuration on the PC.

SYSOPS
06-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Afternoon,
The issue is more than likely due to the proxy setting. It needs to be transparent for ShipRush UPS v3 Basic to function.

SYSOPS

SYSOPR
06-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Ok, I think this explains the situation. I CAN get to HTTPS:// sites via IE so I CAN get out on 443, but apparently ShipRush cannot. IE uses a proxy server. So I assume I cannot set ShipRush to use/talk-with this proxy server, huh? So should IT have other options, besides going around the proxy? I will be meeting with them on Monday.

Right. The option would be to configure your PC so that IE can hit HTTPS sites without any proxy configuration necessary in IE or control panel.

ggongola
06-07-2004, 11:55 AM
I have confirmed with our IT group that port 443 is open for outbound. What else do you suggest?

Afternoon,
The issue is more than likely due to the proxy setting. It needs to be transparent for ShipRush UPS v3 Basic to function.

SYSOPS

SYSOPS
06-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Do you have proxy configured? If so, and your internet traffic is going through that proxy, that is more than likely the issue.

SYSOPS

ggongola
06-08-2004, 05:35 AM
Hello,

This is Devang Vakharia from J.M.Huber assisting Greg to test his software evaluation. Port 443 is open outbound and we do use firewall as a proxy. Please provide instructions or info. on how to test software in such case.

Thanks.

ggongola
06-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Our IT group does not feel bypassing the proxy server is a workable solution. However, they said they could open access to a *specific* xyz.UPS.com or xyz.FedEx.com site. Do you know which specific URLs your software is trying to access? If we had this information, we could get it to work.

Do you have proxy configured? If so, and your internet traffic is going through that proxy, that is more than likely the issue.

SYSOPS

SYSOPR
06-08-2004, 03:04 PM
We are in the process of posting some expanded documentation on the subject. I will post again when the new docs are live (should be within an hour or two)

Thank you!

SYSOPR
06-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Our IT group does not feel bypassing the proxy server is a workable solution.

No one is proposing a proxy bypass... That is 'beyond the pale' (e.g. not acceptable for anyone!).

We were able to expand the ShipRush documentation on this subject.
Click here for the updated help page on proxy servers. (http://www.zfirm.com/shiprush/shiprush-v3_Basic_Edition/Proxy_Servers_&_Firewalls.htm)

Please let us know if there are any questions or issues. We are sure ShipRush can work for you!

ggongola
06-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your support on this, however, I'm confused. This document states "ShipRush Basic Edition is not currently compatible with Configured Firewalls. Ask your network administrator to configure your PC for Transparent access to the internet." We have a Configured Firewall, and bypassing it does not allow me to access the internet. And IT is not comfortable bypassing the proxy as a solution. So I'm not sure if/how this will work. I believe we need to know the actual URLs ShipRush must access for this in order to allow such a path through our proxy? I'm willing to have anyone necessary sign an agreement to know what the URLs are.

No one is proposing a proxy bypass... That is 'beyond the pale' (e.g. not acceptable for anyone!).

We were able to expand the ShipRush documentation on this subject.
Click here for the updated help page on proxy servers. (http://www.zfirm.com/shiprush/shiprush-v3_Basic_Edition/Proxy_Servers_&_Firewalls.htm)

Please let us know if there are any questions or issues. We are sure ShipRush can work for you!

SYSOPR
06-09-2004, 04:17 PM
This topic has been moved to direct support with Z-Firm. Thread closed!