PDA

View Full Version : Printer Issue

aadams
05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Hello. We are using Ship Rush for Endicia, FedEx, and UPS. We generally do not have any issues with it. however, we recently moved our warehousing and now we print to a remote location. Somehow the Endicia when printing seems to be very faded and sometimes only half of the barcode is on the label as well as other problems. We print remotely using VPN connection through our server. The FedEx and UPS seem to be working fine. we installed the new Endicia version (5.6 I believe) and it works now fine on one computer but not the other. we use Quickbooks system.

Does anyone know of any other options that might make the labels always come out properly or what we could do to correct this? We were thinking maybe we need a different type of label printer? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Angela C. Adams
Atlantic Publishing Company

SYSOPS
05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Let's see:

- Go into settings | Shipping Settings | Printers and set the Density to 15
- Test

Baseline your test and install a printer locally and set that in ShipRush and print a test label. If that prints correctly, it is either a connection issue, printer issue, or some other non-Z-Firm printer issue.

SYSOPS

aadams
05-26-2008, 08:23 AM
I tried the density issue. The label prints fine on the local printer, but when printing to the printer on the remote location, half of the barcode is missing and the box at the top next to the sideways web address for endicia is missing as well. The label looks different. Could it be that the printer is a different type and that is why it prints differently? The other computer that sends labels to the remote location is having no trouble printing to the remote location printer. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know who I can contact to help me with this? I would appreciate any assistance. thank you.

SYSOPS
05-26-2008, 09:02 AM
What kind of printer is local?
What kind of printer is on the remote?

SYSOPS

aadams
05-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Both are using a Zebra LP 2844...

SYSOPS
05-26-2008, 10:08 AM
If the datamatrix barcode isn't printing on the remote, I would say it might need a firmware update.

Here's the kbase article:
http://www.zfirm.com/knowledge_bases/shiprush/srxa-0274.txt

If that printer came from UPS originally, you might not be able to update tee firmware.

SYSOPS

aadams
05-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Ok I did that, but when I hit go to printers, it does not pull up the printer that is connected remotely. It only shows the local printer connected to this computer.

SYSOPS
05-26-2008, 10:48 AM
You would need to do that firmware update on the PC that the printer is connected to.

SYSOPS

aadams
05-27-2008, 04:27 AM
Ok thanks. We will try that tomorrow on that computer. In the meantime we are attempting to print to pdf....it's still giving us the same issue. To me, this seems like it is a shiprush issue and not the printer being the problem. What do you think?

SYSOPS
05-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Could you email a copy of the PDF to support at zfirmllc dot com?

What is the default printer set to on the PC in question (in windows)?

SYSOPS

aadams
05-27-2008, 07:38 AM
I just e-mailed you with the pdfs/jpegs of the labels after printing.

SYSOPS
05-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Let's get baseline:
PC1
- Have a local paper printer installed?
- Go into SR settings | printers
- printer type is a laser printer
- select the local paper printer
- print test label

Does the test label look correct? If so, we know that SR is producing a legit label

Repeat on PC2.

What's the outcome?

SYSOPS

aadams
05-27-2008, 09:01 AM
I will try that right now.

Also, I installed the firmware on the remote printer; however, when I try to detect printers it does not bring up the zebra connected to that printer...could it be that it is an older model?? But the printer works fine for the fedex and ups.

aadams
05-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Ok when I print it out that way, they both print the same--fine all except that small black and white box on the right side of the label like was circled on that label I sent you...Everything else seems fine.

SYSOPS
05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Small black and white box? Are you talking the datamatrix barcode (postage)? if the datamatrix doesn't print, and you cannot do the firmware, the printer will not work for ShipRush\Endicia. Sounds as though the printer was a UPS printer, and cannot be updated on the firmware.

Does ShipRush print correctly to any printer (real, physical, local, paper or label)?

SYSOPS

aadams
05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Is that supposed to print out on it? The small black and white box on the right?? All of the printers but one is printing that but we thought it was not supposed to be on it?

aadams
05-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Is there anything else that could be the bar code only printing half? Should we get another printer? Should we reset the settings? i don't understand why it worked a little and then now it doesnt and it worked on one computer and then not the other?? it makes no sense...

SYSOPS
05-27-2008, 10:11 AM
The black and white box, as you describe, is the datamatrix. It must be on the label.

Could try another printer.

I haven't gotten clarification on this question:
"Does ShipRush print correctly to any printer (real, physical, local, paper or label)?"

SYSOPS

aadams
05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes shiprush prints fine to other printers. It includes the dotmatrix, the barcode perfect, everything is perfect.

SYSOPS
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
then it might be time for a new printer, as it works to other printers correctly.

If you cannot update the firmware, that can also be an issue.

SYSOPS

aadams
05-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Should we try a different type of printer? we use the Zebra LP 2844 but I noticed zebra has some other more commercial grade options that are more current. Would that be best to do? Do you know what a good printer would be to try?

SYSOPS
05-27-2008, 01:06 PM
The 2844 should be fine. You should be able to use a 450, 500, 550.

Most users in the field are using a 2844, but it must be able to print the datamatrix:
http://www.zfirm.com/Product_Documentation/ShipRush_v5-0_Endicia/Printing_Labels_on_a_Thermal_Printer.htm

SYSOPS

aadams
05-27-2008, 02:05 PM
OK thanks. I jsut don't know. we will try out one of the other printers to see if it will work. thanks!!

aadams
05-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Does it matter if it is hooked up through the USB or Parrallel port in order to locate the printer on the firmware updater? The printer is not pulling up when we do a locate printer so I jsut wanted to check before we give up and get a new printer. Thanks!!

SYSOPS
05-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Shouldn't matter. You might need to manually select your printer. I cannot remember the option to do that in the firmware updater, but if memory serves, there is an option to do that.

SYSOPS

aadams
05-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Ok I got it finally. I think I did everything right, but on stage 11 when it says that the version should be v4.70.1A it is not. It comes up v4.51.01. Should I try again? Or does that mean it cannot accept the firmware update?

SYSOPS
05-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Try again, but it might be due to the fact that the printer will not take a firmware update.

SYSOPS

aadams
05-28-2008, 11:34 AM
It keeps giving me the same version number. I guess we will have to get another printer. How will I know if I were to purchase an LP 2844 that it will actually accept the firmware update? I found the 400 printer, but I don't see the 350 or 500 printer you mentioned...do you have a link to those model #s? thanks again for all your assistance.

SYSOPS
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't have a link to the models. They are known models out in the world. They might be models that they only make available to the shipping carriers.

Knowing if the LP2844 will take the firmware is a good question. We do not have a way to know that. According to our helpfile, Endicia should be able to tell you if a printer will work:
http://www.zfirm.com/Product_Documentation/ShipRush_v5-0_Endicia/Printing_Labels_on_a_Thermal_Printer.htm

SYSOPS

SYSOPR
05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
The 400/450/500 are only distributed by the shipping carriers... not sure what the 'public' model # is....

SYSOPR
05-28-2008, 03:36 PM
IHow will I know if I were to purchase an LP 2844 that it will actually accept the firmware update?

If you purchase it new, from an authorized distributor, it will take the update for sure.

If it is used, there may be problems.

aadams
05-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Ok thank you for all your help.