PDA

View Full Version : USPS vs Endicia's U-PIC Insurance Rates

LorraineM
06-17-2008, 12:12 PM
We have been using Endicia's U-PIC third party insurance for our domestic shipments with ShipRush for some time. Endicia's rates are better than the post office.

However, now that we are using SR for our international shipments, we are finding that the U-PIC insurance is quite a bit more expensive than the USPS rates, particuarly for Express Mail. For example, insurance for $500 coverage is $2.10 with USPS, but $6.75 with U-PIC. International Priority Mail insurance is less expensive with U-PIC up to $300 of coverage, but after that the USPS is less expensive.

It would be great to be able to choose to NOT use the third party insurer on certain labels. In SR, the choice for insurance is in the settings. I read on Endicia's website that in Dazzle a person can choose which insurer they want PER LABEL by checking a box within the label screen. Is this possibly something that SR is considering changing? It would be so helpful to us and to our customers to be able to choose the least expensive insurer by having the option on the label.

SYSOPS
06-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Will pass along to development.

SYSOPS

LorraineM
10-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Any feedback from development on this yet? In addition to the issue that insurance is less expensive for certain types of shipments with different carriers, we have other for needing this option:

Our third party insurer with Endicia is U-PIC. They do not insure to several countries that we ship to regularly. Because we are tied to only one insurance carrier in ShipRush, we cannot prepare our label in SR for those countries and have the package insured. We have to prepare labels in Click N Ship in order to send packages to those countries with the availabile USPS insurance.

Due to this, our volume was just under what was needed for the Express Mail Volume Incentive Rebates thru Endicia, so we missed out on that. And Click N Ship is tempermental, and SR is so reliable.

We would love to be able to change carriers on the fly while preparing labels in ShipRush (for Endicia), and be able to avoid Click N Ship entirely.

SYSOPR
10-27-2008, 04:30 PM
I could be waaaaaaaaaaaaay off here, but let me give this a throw....

As we understand it, when you use UPIC, you put the declared value into the REF field in ShipRush. And then you run a report from ShipRush to submit to UPIC.

If this is warm, you could set ShipRush to use USPS insurance (in ShipRush settings). Then, shipment by shipment, you could put the declared value in either:

-- The Declared Value field in ShipRush (for USPS insurance)
or
-- REF1 (for UPIC insurance)

Is that at all warm, or am I way off?

(This would not work if you are using "Endicia insurance" which is the UPIC offering sold by Endicia...)

LorraineM
10-28-2008, 12:50 PM
We use the declared value field for insurance, and insurance is added to the label purchase. The insured amount does not show on the label because the package is not insured through USPS, but we are charged thru our Endicia account. If there was a claim, we would file with U-PIC.

To add more to this issue, U-PIC does not insure all countries. However, we are currently able to enter a declared value and think the package (to the uncovered countries) is insured, but it is not. We are also actually charged for the insurance coverage, but no coverage exists. We have found all those charges and Endicia will be issued a refund. Endicia and U-PIC are aware of the problem, and working on some kind of way to inform the user when preparing a label that insurance coverage is not available for that certain country (thru U-PIC), and give the user the option to continue the label without insurance if they wish.

All the more reason I would like to be able to change insurance carriers within the label process.

SYSOPR
10-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Got it. When using the built in Endicia & USPS insurance:

a) Endicia does not enforce the rules (they should...)

b) You want to be able to select it shipment by shipment

Here is one possible workaround: Open a 2nd ShipRush-ready Endicia account.

In ShipRush, set account A to use Endicia insurance, and account B to use USPS insurance.

Then you can select from the two accounts in the combobox when shipping.

(I know this is imperfect... but the upside is that you can do this right now...)

LorraineM
04-14-2009, 12:02 PM
When I first read your idea, it seemed too complicated for us. I'm wondering if development is any closer to allowing the option to choose Insurer by package? If not, I'll call to ask more about having 2 accounts as a way around this. We save with U-PIC Priority Mail insurance , but losing a lot on Express Mail insurance - especially our Express Mail international. We're considering going back to Click N Ship for our EM int'l packages just to get the better insurance rate.

SYSOPR
04-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks.
We have a ticket open ZF Case 18903, to allow insurance type to be set shipment by shipment.

However, this is not what we consider a high priority feature.
Two accounts may be a solution.

junwjeff
03-16-2011, 08:24 PM
How to open another account? I do not understand. Can you give us more details?

SYSOPR
03-16-2011, 09:11 PM
How to open another account? I do not understand. Can you give us more details?

In ShipRush Endicia, go to Settings, then use the Add Account button, and create a 2nd Endicia account.

junwjeff
03-17-2011, 05:41 AM
It requires another Endicia account number? So I need to apply another one and pay the monthly fee? Thanks