PDA

View Full Version : New PC crashing when we launch ShipRush!

jeanie
02-18-2005, 12:09 PM
I have no idea why this is happening but beginning about 2 weeks ago almost every time we try to launch Shiprush on our new pc (bought last October) our pc crashes! We've been running Shiprush successfully on the same pc ever since we bought it and can't figure out why it's making the pc crash now. We've tried doing system restores, and nothing seems to work. The pc will crash 5 or 6 times and every now and then we can get Shiprush to launch successfully without crashing the pc. Please help!!!

PC is an HP and is running Windows XP.
Thanks!

SYSOPS
02-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Is this the ShipRush Server PC, or just a workstation?

Do you know what build of ShipRush UPS v3 Pro you are running (updated it recently)?

Have not seen this or had it reported before, so we must think environmental to the PC. When it crashes, does it indicate a filename as to what caused the crash?

SYSOPS

jeanie
02-18-2005, 12:42 PM
The pc is a workstation. Shiprush version 3.0.0.281. We haven't updated it recently. The only error message we get says something about our pc is recovering from a critical (could say serious) error (or something like that) and asks us if we want to send a report to Microsft. We've always said no, but the next time it happens we can say yes and then get info from the report... yes?

SYSOPS
02-18-2005, 12:55 PM
If you've updated to Service Pack 2 in XP, that may cause an issue.

Here is the helpfile discussion on the windows firewall in XP SP2:
http://www.zfirm.com/Product_Documentation/ShipRush_v3_Pro_Edition/Configuring_the_Windows_Firewall.htm

We are coming out with an update shortly and the next step would be to update that.

SYSOPS

jeanie
02-18-2005, 01:10 PM
We've already done all that business with the service pack 2 firewall stuff... I don't think that this is the same thing... there are still times when Shiprush will launch (maybe one out of every 5 times or so) without any problems. My fear is that there will come a day when we're totally unable to get ShipRush to launch at all!

SYSOPS
02-18-2005, 01:15 PM
If this is only impacting the one workstation, I would suggest uninstalling ShipRush from the workstation via Add\Remove Programs

Delete the following folders:
program files\z-firm llc\shiprush v3
c:\documents and settings\username\application data\z-firm llc

Reboot the PC and re-install. It is environmental to the PC and without any other notation about a possible file that is causing this, this is the only route we can go at this time.

SYSOPS

jeanie
02-18-2005, 01:39 PM
That's a pretty good idea... but would it be better for us to wait until the pc crashes again and see if we can get info about the error from the error report to microsoft? We could wait if you think it's a better idea...

SYSOPS
02-18-2005, 03:46 PM
You can certainly do that. The error report itself probably will not tell us much.

Usually during a BSoD (blue screen of death) it informs the user in the blue screen what file caused the issue. Maybe if we catch the name of that file, it will help us.

SYSOPS

SYSOPR
02-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Since this was a working system that is now problematic, the normal rule is 'something changed.'

Figuring that out is sometimes quite tricky.

The problem is almost certainly not ShipRush.

Check the system for virus, spyware, etc.
Review what was installed or changed on the system around the time the problem started.
Turn off all startup apps (in sys tray and elsewhere)

Keep us posted!

jeanie
02-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Here is a link that we arrived at after we sent the error report to Microsoft when the pc crashed this morning. http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=12d8db20-06eb-4e67-bb07-5f050348060d&SID=284

I have no idea what this means.....

SYSOPR
02-21-2005, 08:54 PM
We suspect that something is wrong with windows itself.

A virus scan with the latest scanner, and a spyware scrub are the first steps.

If that does not help, the next steps are probably:

a) Get a PC guru to sit at the machine and scrub it of un needed stuff

b) Reformat, reload windows, and kind of start over with the box.

Sorry we don't have a cleaner approach, but since everything was working it really sounds like something is wrong with the pc.

jeanie
02-22-2005, 09:21 AM
I'm afraid that you might be right about the pc... today when I'm attempting to scan a photo, the pc continues to crash... I was able to screen capture the error report as a jpg but don't know how to attach the jpg for you here... Is there a way for me to send it to you so that we can verify that the problem is not with ShipRush?

SYSOPS
02-22-2005, 09:54 AM
No need to post it here. If the PC is exhibiting odd behavior in other areas, then the first guess is PC specific (virus or other issue).

It may be time to have the PC looked at by a PC technician.

SYSOPS

jeanie
02-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Okay, thanks!!!!!!!