PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty replacing name

adam5532
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi,

I've had this problem many times: I want to ship something to someone who is not in my address book. So, I put an invoice on the screen with a customer already selected (because ShipRush won't work unless I do).

Now, when I try to retype the name and address to put in where I really want to send the package, it refuses to delete the prior information.

The current address is residential. The address I want to send to is a commercial address. So, I put the company name in the Company Name line. Now, when I try to replace the Name, it refuses to get rid of the previous name -- it will delete, and I can type the new name, but as soon as I exit the field, I get both the new name and the old one (Ex.: "SHIPPING shaw"). Now, this is interesting: I finally got it to replace it with SHIPPING DEPT. But when I tried to shorten it to just SHIPPING, it adds DEPT as soon as I exit the field. It seems to act like a non-defeatable auto-complete feature.

Thanks,
Adam

SYSOPS
05-05-2005, 12:43 PM
It is probably "remembering" what was in the field before, and adds it back in when you leave the field. Also keep in mind that ShipRush is looking for First Name\Last Name. If you type in both in the name field, you'll probably get better results.

Are you running ShipRush in QB Customer List or Hybrid (&3 and &4 on the invoice)?

Couple of suggestions:
Create a test record with no contact information and see if that helps (select that test record before being up an airbill).
If running in Hybrid mode, enter in the details about the ship to in the Ship To field and then bring up ShipRush. It will pull that data from the Ship To field (again, if running in Hybrid mode).

SYSOPS

adam5532
05-05-2005, 01:15 PM
It is probably "remembering" what was in the field before, and adds it back in when you leave the field. Also keep in mind that ShipRush is looking for First Name\Last Name. If you type in both in the name field, you'll probably get better results.

Are you running ShipRush in QB Customer List or Hybrid (&3 and &4 on the invoice)?

Couple of suggestions:
Create a test record with no contact information and see if that helps (select that test record before being up an airbill).

I tried creating a Name in QB called "Blank Record" with no name or address information. It won't work with ShipRush -- I get an error "No address information available. Please check the address."

If running in Hybrid mode, enter in the details about the ship to in the Ship To field and then bring up ShipRush. It will pull that data from the Ship To field (again, if running in Hybrid mode).
SYSOPS
I'm not running in Hybrid mode, as the other mode seems to cause the least problems. But addressing can still be finiky, for example if the Company Name and Contact fields are filled out in QB, and someone has different billing and shipping addresses, then Shiprush apparently can't figure out if the Company Name and Contact refer to the billing information or the shipping information. And sometimes under some conditions the Company Name and Name can get reversed. It seems that these problems are caused by the poor system that QB uses to guess addresses -- it would be so much easier if they abandoned the free form address box and there were just proper individual fields for each piece of information in QB for billing and shipping.

Thanks,
Adam

SYSOPS
05-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I agree with you on the free form. Every other product has fields for specific items.

Not sure if you saw my edit to the original reply. ShipRush is probably looking for a firstname\lastname. If you edit the contact field, put in a firstname\lastname combo.

Should work just fine then
SYSOPS

adam5532
05-05-2005, 01:50 PM
I agree with you on the free form. Every other product has fields for specific items.

Not sure if you saw my edit to the original reply. ShipRush is probably looking for a firstname\lastname. If you edit the contact field, put in a firstname\lastname combo.

Should work just fine then
SYSOPS
Thanks, yes that's what it's doing. But UPS doesn't require a full name if there is a company name, do they? If I'm sending something to "Jim" at "Acme Widgets," and I don't have a last name, then I have to try to trick ShipRush into getting rid of the last name. And, if I'm shipping to "Acme Widgets" with no individual name, then I've found the only way to work around this is to type a space in the Name field, or else Shiprush insists on leaving the previous last name in the Name field. I guess that will work, but it would seem a lot smoother if Ship Rush didn't behave this way. If I change a customer record and get rid of the last name, ShipRush doesn't seem to care or show a red warning box, so it doesn't seem too useful for it to automatically add the wrong person's last name when you are trying to edit an address. Anyway, maybe you could suggest this to development? It just seems to me like more of an annoyance than a useful feature. The easiest thing would be if ShipRush were allowed to work without having to have an invoice or sales receipt on the screen, and recognize that in this case your intention is to just manually type in an address.

Thanks for the super-quick responses!

- Adam

SYSOPS
05-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I will pass along the suggestion about the name edit.

I've already (long ago) suggested an option to pull up an airbill without an invoice open (no CRM, Account package interaction). Hasn't happened as of yet.

SYSOPS

adam5532
05-05-2005, 02:06 PM
I will pass along the suggestion about the name edit.

I've already (long ago) suggested an option to pull up an airbill without an invoice open (no CRM, Account package interaction). Hasn't happened as of yet.

SYSOPS
Ok, thanks!
- Adam