Untitled Document

Thread: Automation Rules

We have automation rules set to "Require Signature" for items where declared value is more or equal to $250. We just noticed an order that went out Friday for $575 that left with no signature required. The actions are set to "Set Signature Confirmation" to "Indirect Signature Required" or "Signature Required". I assumed this would set it correctly for either USPS or FedEx.

Is there something we need to change in the settings maybe to make sure the automation works correctly? We just know that occasionally, someone may slip up and forget to change the shipment to signature required, so we added the automation to play it safe.

Thanks.

The shipment that went out, was it sent via FedEx or USPS?

If FedEx,
    Was it a commercial address or residential (did it go as Ground or Home Delivery if a ground shipment)?

There are variables that can cause this and the above will help us understand the issue. For example, if the shipment was a USPS shipment, they do not have an option called Indirect Signature, so that wouldn't apply.

Thank you,
    SYSOPS
    Have Questions? Ask the ShipRush Knowledge Base: https://shiprush.com/kbase

This one actually went USPS Priority. We set the rule to do either Indirect signature, OR signature required, which we thought would work to handle either case (USPS or Fedex) Attached is our setups.Name:  automation.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  36.7 KB

Should we set 2 DIFFERENT rules, one for USPS, and one for FedEx maybe?

You might for this scenario.

For USPS, check the carrier as part of the filter, then set to Signature Required (which is the proper name for postal shipping in ShipRush)

For FedEx, check the carrier as part of the filter, then set to Direct Signature Required (which is the proper name for FedEx shipping in ShipRush)

The catch is trying to use Indirect Signature Required. That only applies to residential addresses. To use that, you'd have to have more filters for doing address validation first and Ship to Residential set to yes.

HTH,
    SYSOPS

Blog Entries
    Do you want to filter on:

Declared Value (what your rule looks to be hooked to)

or

Order Total $ (see below)

?

Name:  filter-value.png
Views: 75
Size:  96.6 KB
    -----------------------------------
    The Blog: http://forums.zfirm.com/blog.php

YouTube channel: http://youtube.com/shiprush

Thank you for using ShipRush!

Ok, after seeing your suggestions, I think we've nailed it down now. I've created 2 separate rules, one for USPS, and one for FedEx. I've also changed the filter to "Order total" as that would further make sure that signature is required EVEN if the person in shipping forgets to add a declared value.

As far as the "Indirect Signature" issue, I would think that if the order was not Res, and went Fedex ground, since FX ground requires signature by default (driver cannot leave at commercial address without someone signing) then we may be ok. If the address was Res, then the rule will work as normal, if it changes itself to Ground, then FedEx will get a signature anyway by default.

I have also checked the box for "Apply to all Ready to Ship" on the main ShipRush screen. I assume that this will make sure that it is applied to any order, not just ones that we check, and apply the rule to?

I think this will solve our problem, and I will keep you posted if we see any issues. Thank you!!!
    Last edited by JamesB; 10-11-2016 at 03:48 AM.

Ok, after seeing your suggestions, I think we've nailed it down now. I've created 2 separate rules, one for USPS, and one for FedEx. I've also changed the filter to "Order total" as that would further make sure that signature is required EVEN if the person in shipping forgets to add a declared value.
    Better choice as that removes the human factor of not setting the value.

As far as the "Indirect Signature" issue, I would think that if the order was not Res, and went Fedex ground, since FX ground requires signature by default (driver cannot leave at commercial address without someone signing) then we may be ok. If the address was Res, then the rule will work as normal, if it changes itself to Ground, then FedEx will get a signature anyway by default.
    Correct. By default commercial shipments get an indirect signature.

I have also checked the box for "Apply to all Ready to Ship" on the main ShipRush screen. I assume that this will make sure that it is applied to any order, not just ones that we check, and apply the rule to?
    You won't need to place a check on each order but you will still need to click the Automation Rules to apply them. They do not run on their own at this time.

HTH,
    SYSOPS

Ok, so there's no way to have the system automatically apply that rule to the orders, even if the box is checked for "apply to all ready to ship"? Will this be available in the future?

If they still have to "apply" the automation rule each time, it wouldn't be very automated. If they remember to apply the rule, I would think they would just click on "Signature required", which negates the need for the rule?

I may just not be understanding exactly how the system is utilizing the Automation Rules. I'm assuming that for now, the shipper needs to just click on each rule at various times of the day to have it go ahead and add the necessary rule to any and all open orders?

At this time, the Automation Rules have to be applied to the orders. In the near future we will have an option that they get set on orders automatically as they come in.

There's an option in ShipRush to make applying all of your Automation Rules easier than setting something one by one. Expand the more area on the right and you'll see an option called Run All Enabled Rules. You will have to select all the Ready to Ship orders first (can click the single box at the top of the first order to select all of them) and then click on the Run All Enabled Rules. This will apply all of the Automation Rules that you have created.

SYSOPS