Untitled Document
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Include state on international labels

For most non-US countries, ShipRush V7 (and V6) hides the state field and does not print the state on the label. I think this is a mistake. I checked with a handful of postal companies in foreign countries (India, Turkey, and Japan) and they all require a state/province/region field on their labels.

Please update ShipRush to include the state/province/region field for all the countries that require it.

Checking with each country would be a lot of work, so I found a great resource for you at http://www.addressdoctor.com/en/coun...essformats.asp. This page displays the appropriate label format for every country that you support (at least it appears to).

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the feedback!

The labels ShipRush prints are governed by the various U.S. shipping carriers. In some cases (for example, Canada and Australia), the U.S. carriers expect and/or require a province/state field, and ShipRush supports it.

In other cases, the country may have a province/state component, but the U.S. carrier either does not support it at all, or only as an optional element. In these cases, ShipRush does not expose or support province/state.

ShipRush is required by the carriers to produce deliverable shipping labels to international destinations. It is tested extensively. It can be used reliably as it is.
    -----------------------------------
    The Blog: http://forums.zfirm.com/blog.php

YouTube channel: http://youtube.com/shiprush

Thank you for using ShipRush!

That makes a lot of sense for UPS and FedEx which have their own door-to-door delivery process and I have to believe they have designed their system to ensure accurate delivery.

But doesn't USPS rely on the country's own delivery system? And if that country requires (or even suggests) that the state/region be included, shouldn't USPS require it? If not, then what does USPS (or Endicia) do to ensure accurate delivery?

I did some checking on the USPS web site. If I create a label to Japan (for example), region is not required. So I searched for "International addressing requirements" on the USPS web site.

It turns out that only GXG (Global Express Guaranteed) is guaranteed to be delivered. And right now the GXG vendor is FedEx, and FedEx does not require the state/region, so it follows that USPS does not require it.

If I want to use any other service, USPS recommends that I use the full address as given by the recipient. Since the recipient will (hopefully) use the country's recommended format, it follows that USPS recommends I include the state/region for country's that recommend or require it.

If I don't follow the recipient's or destination country's recommended format, there is an increased risk that my package will be undeliverable for any service other than GXG. Undeliverable packages cost my customer money (return postage, 2nd try, additional processing time, and possibly future sales). I am trying to mitigate that cost.

Is there a flaw in my logic?

I think my customer may have a list of international addresses that were undeliverable (all sent via USPS). Would a list of undelivable addresses be of any value?
    Last edited by AMill; 08-19-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Your logic is sound, but the discussion may be slightly misplaced.

To the degree that any carrier requires or recommends inclusion of region/state/province, we will implement it (we are, in fact, required to).

Please remember that Z-Firm does not make the addressing rules. If there is a flaw or weakness in the carrier rules, that is not something Z-Firm can "fill in." Z-Firm's job is to follow the rules for labeling as defined by the carriers.

Z-Firm is audited, tested, and reviewed by the carriers to ensure that we are doing this. Z-Firm does not represent that shipping labels are "perfect" or "not-improvable." However we know, from many years of experience that ShipRush generated labels meet carrier specs AND that they work in practice (tens of millions of shipments processed).

I think my edit crossed paths with your reply.

I think my customer may have a list of international addresses that were undeliverable (all USPS, but not ShipRush). It sounds like you are recommending that we work with USPS to determine if it was because the state/region was missing and if it was then we should get USPS to require that field. And if USPS requires it, then you will add it.

Does that sound right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMill View Post
    I think my edit crossed paths with your reply.

I think my customer may have a list of international addresses that were undeliverable (all USPS, but not ShipRush). It sounds like you are recommending that we work with USPS to determine if it was because the state/region was missing and if it was then we should get USPS to require that field. And if USPS requires it, then you will add it.

Does that sound right?
    Very warm.

If USPS has (or implements) requirements or recommendations, we will do our best to follow them.

I just opened a ShipRush for USPS powered by Endicia account today and tested some domestic and international shipments. There are some problem found as follows for SYSOPR:

1. Does not print State name on label for shipment to UK, but print State name for shipments to Canada. There is no State field displayed in Ship details window. I have to manually input State name in City field and move City name into address line 2. I believe this is the software bug ! Isn't it?

2. In Settings - Show Shipping Settings - Advanced - Clipboard, I checked two options in "Check Clipboard for usable Address" section. While ShipRush is running, I copy a domestic address to clipboard, when I open/click Blank Form menu on top (2nd button), the Ship to form is still blank, it does not work like Encicia (Dazzle) to monitor and paste customer's address automatically. I have to fill in buyer's address line by line manually.

Is there any setting I missing ?

Thank you for your time!

1. Does not print State name on label for shipment to UK, but print State name for shipments to Canada. There is no State field displayed in Ship details window. I have to manually input State name in City field and move City name into address line 2. I believe this is the software bug ! Isn't it?
    Please let us know where you find the address rules for a shipment to the United Kingdom for postal. If they require a state, we will change that behavior in the software. To our knowledge the address requirements that display in ShipRush currently are accurate.

2. In Settings - Show Shipping Settings - Advanced - Clipboard, I checked two options in "Check Clipboard for usable Address" section. While ShipRush is running, I copy a domestic address to clipboard, when I open/click Blank Form menu on top (2nd button), the Ship to form is still blank, it does not work like Encicia (Dazzle) to monitor and paste customer's address automatically. I have to fill in buyer's address line by line manually.
    Test with a simple address from notepad:
    Fred Jones
    122 Lakeside Ave Ste 101
    Seattle WA 98122

Copy that example address above and click on blank form. Does it populate? If not, verify the settings again, close ShipRush completely and restart and test once more.

SYSOPS
    Have Questions? Ask the ShipRush Knowledge Base: https://shiprush.com/kbase

1. For example, a customer's address is displayed as follows in the eBay order:
    Mr. Jones
    123 Alfall Road
    Wyken
    Coventry, West Midlands CV2 3GG
    United Kingdom

When it is pulled into ShipRush, it will be displayed and printed as:
    Mr. Jones
    123 Alfall Road
    Wyken
    Coventry CV2 3GG
    United Kingdom

2. The "West Midlands" is missing and omitted.

"Check Clipboard for usable Address" :
    It works for domestic address, but not for international address. Right?